Happy Holidays from Copenhagen! According to Scandinavian folklore, mischievous elf-like creatures known as Nisse make themselves known especially around Christmas time. In the old days, Nisse were protectors of a household or farmstead and helped farmers with small chores. They were temperamental though and could cause trouble if angered. To show respect and keep them in good spirits, the Nisse were presented with a bowl of porridge with butter (Risengrød) on Christmas Eve. In modern times, Nisse are still around– playing pranks and leaving small gifts for children during Advent.
Studio Arhoj's annual Nisse for 2023 is fired at a slightly higher temperature for a deeper red or green and a stronger glaze. The mini Ghost is glazed to resemble a Julemanden (Santa) hat, green with white trimming and a little dusting of snow. The small Ghosts, considered by some to be Studio Arhoj's trademark item, inhabit your living space and are useful for many things - paper weights, door stoppers, toys, mantel decor, kitchen talismans or as company on a lonely night.
- Available in Red and Green
- Photos are indicative. Each Nisse is hand thrown - items may differ slightly. This item with the 2023 stamp is very limited in quantity - get one while you can!
- Each unique Ghost is hand thrown in earthenware, hand glazed, hand decorated and fired at a slightly higher temperature for a deeper red or green and a stronger glaze.
- Size: Approx 2.5-3" tall
- Care: Wipe with dry or moist cloth. No wet sponges.
- Made in Copenhagen, Denmark